EVP - Electronic Voice Phenomena

Spirituality. The Paranormal. Theology. Let's delve into the strange, the uplifting, the supernatural with tolerance and open minds...
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA

Postby NaranjaRa » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:05 pm

For more than 50 years, experimenters all over the world have been tape recording "paranormal voices" - voices which cannot be heard when a tape recorder is playing but which can be heard when the tape is played back. Many of these messages have been reported to be from loved ones who have passed on. Such messages would include the experimenter's name and also answers to the experimenter's questions. It is a phenomenon known as "EVP" or "electronic voice phenomenon" and there are thousands of researchers around the world researching this fascinating psychic phenomenon. This phenomenon is particularly relevant to evidence supporting the survival hypothesis because it follows strict scientific procedures and have been duplicated under laboratory conditions by various of researchers in many different countries.

Friedrich Jürgenson is considered to be the "The father of EVP" because he was the first to capture EVP successfully on a recording device. One particular recording changed his life forever. After playing back on of his recordings, he was shocked to hear his mother’s voice say “Friedel can you hear me. It’s mammy.” Friedrich's mother had long ago passed away and the endearment he heard was used exclusively by her. Jürgenson was now convinced these unusual audio transmissions were voices from the afterlife. In 1964, Jürgenson published a book on his EVP research entitled "The Voices From Space."

After reading Friedrich Jürgenson's book, Dr. Konstantins Raudive (1909–1974), a Latvian psychologist who was a student of Carl Jung, meet with Jürgenson and conducted EVP experiments with him. As a result, in 1965, Raudive began to conduct his own EVP research and with the help of various electronics experts, Raudive recorded over 100,000 audiotapes, most of which were conducted using strict laboratory conditions. Raudive would confirm the accuracy of his recordings by inviting listeners to hear and interpret them. Over 400 people were involved in his EVP research and all heard the voices. This culminated in his 1968 book entitled "Breakthrough: An Amazing Experiment in Electronic Communication with the Dead." Raudice's research into EVP gave experimenters various methods for recording EVP’s including the EVP classification scale that is used by researchers today. The popular paranormal TV series called "Ghost Adventures" features an overwhelmingly number of convincing EVP recordings as they occur.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coast to Coast AM with Art Bell - Archive of EVP Shows
http://sitarchive.com/?s=evp

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVP TIPS

* you want to have your session in a quiet place...as quiet as possible. try to cut out any and all extranneous noises, fans, shut windows, etc. the idea is to keep your environment as free from noise contamination as possible.

* approach the entities you are asking to speak to with respect and kindness. think of how you would talk to a stranger that you meet for the first time. be polite.

* ask a question and wait 10-15 seconds before asking another one to allow time for a response. the thought is that it takes a lot of energy for entities to be able to have their voices be heard in our realm.

* make sure to mark your recordings whenever you make a sound. if you light a smoke, say "lighting a smoke" on the recorder so that when you listen later you don't mistake your own sounds for something otherworldly.

What I love about this phenom is that you can try it yourself. You only need the ability to record sound, which is now on every phone.
I have personally performed multiple EVP sessions, with others and on my own. I do not know exactly *what* it is, only that it's 100% REAL.

And I can tell you from experience - when you get that first voice... it changes you...

NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:43 pm

Coast to Coast AM is a nightly talk-radio show that centers on topics of a paranormal nature. The new host is shit, but the show's creator and original host, Art Bell, is a legend in his own right. Here are a few of his shows about EVP with guests who bring samples to play on-air.

And yes, sometimes they are incredibly CREEPY.

http://sitarchive.com/?s=evp
Kay
grasshopper

Postby Kay » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:29 am

I have found that I am an un-grounded person and a personal friend of mine thinks I emit some sort of low frequency that wards off any spirit activity. With daily use, watches only last about 4 weeks on me. My laptops and cell phones always malfunction horribly within 6 months. I will ALWAYS be shocked when I flip a switch. And street lamps usually go out when I walk by the post.

I'm a see it to believe it kind of person, so having this... "shield" has really interfered with my ability to capture an EVP myself.
The only time I've ever maybe seen an apparition was in (what I was told) a very spiritually active house. It was just the outline of a woman on the couch and it lasted 3 seconds until I blinked. DON'T BLINK!
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:59 am

"spirits" (we need a new word) have been known to drain electronics...batteries go dead, lights go out, etc...and the thought is that it requires a lot of energy for them to manifest and make their voice heard on our equipment.

that said, i've never heard of the phenom you describe, Kay. i have however heard of people getting spirit attachments that cause the exact issues you describe. weeeeeird!!!
Kay
grasshopper

Postby Kay » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:19 am

In college I had this group of friends. Joe, Sara, Brian, and Anna. They were very into this type of stuff and frequently caught EVPs of the deceased who lived with them. When they tried with me in the room, and oh did they try, no voices were ever caught. They were only successful when I left their apartment.

My body seriously interferes with things. One of my old clients is a hospitalist and she's the one who told me I'm less grounded than the average person. No tests were done, that was just her best medical guess after she practically interviewed me about it. She was curious as to why all my Kindles were malfunctioning and so I told her my "electrifying" story..

Before my great grandpa passed he also had the watch problem. So, I always thought it was genetic. Come to find out ten years after his death that he essentially adopted my grandma as his own when she was born. So there goes my genetics theory! It's been an always thing and I'd be more than happy to have my mom testify to that! lol
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:00 am

well to be fair we are made of water and energy, and water is a wonderful conductor, so although i could not be asked to explain the science involved, it *makes sense*

i've been doing EVP for about 10 years. first time out with a group of friends just out of curiosity we got a Class A voice (which means it's loud and clear and anyone can hear exactly what is being said) and from that point on i've been a student. people who want to cry that it's some kind of interference or radio signal being picked up only needs to get their own recording of a voice that is NOT their own responding with INTELLIGENCE and RELEVANCE to the question being asked. sorry, it happens too often to be random or coincidental. especially when your own name is mentioned!
girlapaloo
MF'n LION-O RIDING A UNICORN

Postby girlapaloo » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:40 pm

SO cool you started this section :)
I want to start doing EVP sessions at our house. We moved in about 2 years ago and I've felt weird presences sometimes.
Strange things happen pretty much wherever we live, but I'll save that for a different thread.

We have tried a few times with a digital voice recorder and I think we have captured one or two EVPs. I am super lazy about listening to the sessions once we've recorded. So tedious. lol

One day, in the middle of the afternoon, I asked a series of questions and we got one response when I asked "How old are you?" Upon playback, we clearly heard what sounded like a little boy's voice saying "Three!" The rest of that session was nothing but the all too familiar ambient static.
Spoiler: show
Image Image
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:29 am

So cool you're interested in this stuff, too girlapoo!

i had always been nervous about doing sessions in my house. like, i ddidnt *want to know* who or what might be around, ya feel?

but then we moved into this new place last Sept, where an old couple had lived here for 15yrs and the husband passed. we do not know for sure IF he passed in the house, but when we moved in stuff just seemed *off*. i feel things...

so we started doing sessions...and we get responses every time. freaked my husband out. i've been doing most of the experiments myself now. i've been getting a lot of strange things in photographs, too. now, most paranormal investigators dont even deal with so-called "orbs" in pictures anymore because it's so hard to tell them from dust and other things in the air. but when they show up and disappear on command...and you get other weird light streaks, too...then that raises my eyebrow a bit.

my next experiment will be an EVP session with photography to see if i can correlate the appearance of these things with answers on the recording.

but yeah, listening to your sessions takes the most time and why a lot of folks give up pretty fast. ;)

i'm going to try to post some clips later, too.
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:50 pm

EVP TIPS
---------------------------

you want to have your session in a quiet place...as quiet as possible. try to cut out any and all extranneous noises, fans, shut windows, etc. the idea is to keep your environment as free from contamination as possible.

approach the entities you are asking to speak to with respect and kindness. think of how you would talk to a stranger that you meet for the first time. be polite.

ask a question and wait 10-15 seconds before asking another one to allow time for a response. the thought is that it takes a lot of energy for entities to be able to have their voices be heard in our realm.

make sure to mark your recordings whenever you make a sound. if you light a smoke, say "lighting a smoke" on the recorder so that when you listen later you don't mistake your own sounds for something otherworldly.

//more as i think of them...added to OP
PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:16 am

As a skeptic, EVP is the most convincing thing I have discovered that could sway my views on ghosts and other paranormal topics. That being said, I remain a skeptic. This is primarily because I had to convince myself that ghosts did not exist when I was a child so that I could overcome my fear of the "furnace monster" (see this post for more information concerning the furnace monster: The Furnace Monster
-Master of all things pherret related
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Sat May 07, 2016 4:07 pm

PhlawlessPhelon wrote:As a skeptic, EVP is the most convincing thing I have discovered that could sway my views on ghosts and other paranormal topics. That being said, I remain a skeptic. This is primarily because I had to convince myself that ghosts did not exist when I was a child so that I could overcome my fear of the "furnace monster" (see this post for more information concerning the furnace monster: The Furnace Monster

it's what flipped my world...getting that first voice. i really do invite hardcore skeptics to try it. because i've heard their cries of airwave interference from radios, cellphones etc, or pareidolia (aka when the brain tries to make sense out of nothing...so hearing words in jumbled static) and it just doesn't apply to every case. sure, it happens, no doubt. people mis-hear things, or they try to pull meaning out of a bunch of garbled sounds.

but when you get a loud, crystal-clear answer to a question that is completely relevant, intelligent, and specific, that is not at all coincidence, and definitely not the brain playing tricks. *something* else is going on....

Return to “The Unexplained”