I Want To Believe AKA Convince The Skeptic

Spirituality. The Paranormal. Theology. Let's delve into the strange, the uplifting, the supernatural with tolerance and open minds...

Moderator: Phara

Pawly
Grandmaster Sensei of the Dark Corners

Postby Pawly » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:29 pm

I want to believe. I really do.

Fascinating tales of ghosts, aliens, bigfoot, loch ness monster, telekinesis, phychics and premonitions have such exotic allure and yet there is seldom any concrete proof. Everything in my opinion can be explained by Occam's Razor, "among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected" ( sometimes abbreviated to "the simplest explanation is usually the correct one"), it usually gives us the most plausible answers. My brain tells me logic rules but my heart says be open to new ideas. Psychics have been debunked by many, photos can (and have) been doctored and documents can be forged. But I still want to believe. I don't want to go into all the threads here and be the jerky skeptic so I thought we could condense all the skepticism here.

So what proof can you show me? What have you found, as believers, that seems irrefutable? Show me and I promise to be open minded even if not completely convinced. I will attempt to find the most logical explanation though.

ImageImage
It's MY world. You just a squirrel tryna get a nut!
ImageImage
ImageImage
CLICK ME!!
NaranjaRa
Nerd lvl: SUPA DUPA

Postby NaranjaRa » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:39 pm

i love this post so much. and that's because just like you, i really WANT to believe in, well, everything!
but unfortunately, we are trying to obtain proof of something with current scientific methods that i just don't think are evolved enough. does that make sense? as in, we can only see as far as our tools allow us to look.

i do my best to approach any investigation from a scientific standpoint. i do what i can to try and debunk anything that is seemingly out of the ordinary. and most of the time, that's exactly all that is needed. most of the time, a rational explanation can be found.

the advice i give most people is to try EVP. this is any easy thing you can do right in your own home if you want, with any device that records sound. i was a super-skeptic before i tried my first session. and then it changed my life. because i KNOW for a FACT the voice on the resulting recording was not mine or anyone else's who was present at the time.

the best evidence is what you capture yourself. ;)
(but i will still see if i can post some of my clips...)
DJ_Darkside
Chunks of Cool

Postby DJ_Darkside » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:05 am

The way I see it ( and the best way my brain can spew it right now) is that everything, including us, at the molecular level is made of energy held together by vibration. Energy does not die (science) and if our consciousness is also energy then it too should last in different forms for all of eternity. Forever returning to the "source". You can see it kind of like a hard drive I think. If you delete something on a hard drive (just shift+del) is it truly gone?

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. Kurt Cobain

Spoiler: show
ALL HAIL LIEUTENANT DOCTOR COOLCHUNKIA ESQUIRE THE THIRD JR.!!! Lest she blow chunks of cool up yo asssss!!!
/anna hack! :kiss:
NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:57 am

DJ_Darkside wrote:The way I see it ( and the best way my brain can spew it right now) is that everything, including us, at the molecular level is made of energy held together by vibration. Energy does not die (science) and if our consciousness is also energy then it too should last in different forms for all of eternity. Forever returning to the "source".

this is exactly my own beliefs, put in most excellent words.

and also Pawly, you should check out some of the science that has proven the existence of at the very least, what we can at this point only say is some kind of consciousness that not only can exist outside of our bodies, but beyond death itself.

Scientific Evidence Supporting Near-Death Experiences & the Afterlife
Kay
grasshopper

Postby Kay » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:14 am

Wow, Darkside. You just said almost verbatim what I say to people. Everything is energy. Energy cannot be created nor destroyed. Therefor, if the consciousness is energy, it could go somewhere and remain intact.
Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:59 pm

Convince me… I have an open mind… I want to believe in something…

All of those “lead me down a path” requests mean nothing. If these things are real then you need only live long enough to see feel taste touch them. You require no proof that the sun will rise in the east. You know it. You have experienced it every day of your life but your belief is not required for anything that is real- Honestly if you can tell me that you understand that feat and how the cosmos had to align just so for the sun to rise as she does then maybe you need an explanation of the slightly less obvious workings of the so called paranormal. (Maybe what we call paranormal is just a non classified system of physics)

Live long enough to see with your own eyes then you will not believe- you will know.
Image Image
est 1953

NaranjaRa

Postby NaranjaRa » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:01 am

Corgimom wrote:Convince me… I have an open mind… I want to believe in something…

All of those “lead me down a path” requests mean nothing. If these things are real then you need only live long enough to see feel taste touch them. You require no proof that the sun will rise in the east. You know it. You have experienced it every day of your life but your belief is not required for anything that is real- Honestly if you can tell me that you understand that feat and how the cosmos had to align just so for the sun to rise as she does then maybe you need an explanation of the slightly less obvious workings of the so called paranormal. (Maybe what we call paranormal is just a non classified system of physics)

Live long enough to see with your own eyes then you will not believe- you will know.

truth in poetry ^^^^^^ you could've just dropped the mic, honestly
i can not love this post hard enough!!!!!

*literally stands up & applauds*

Return to “The Unexplained”