Kitchen Gadgets: Yay or nay?

More laid back off-topic than Culture & Debate... This section is for the mundane, the funny, and the interesting.

Kitchen Gadgets:

nothing for at least a solid month, then back to normal
12%
Equal Rights for all
6%
World Peace!
6%
Being gay isnt such a big deal in society anymore
12%
No one cares what bathrooms people use anymore
6%
Anna, you're a genius and we LOVE you!!!
12%
Why isnt this a movie yet?
18%
I actually thought of this before, and im not Anna.
No votes
SEND ME TO THIS WORLD!!!!!
12%
Other (If you choose this, please explain in your post)
18%

Total votes: 17
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:49 am

Ive got a veggie spiraler for zucchini squash pasta. I used it 3 times so far and i love it! very cheap, and a healthy meal. Problem: I dont want to put that much work n one meal too often. im lazy! every now and then I dont mind a couple hours of prepping and cooking for a decent meal with LOTS of leftovers.

Cheese grater: A common one, but not a lot of people i know own one. granted most people i hang out with are in there 20's here. I use it for cheese AND to make hash browns from potatoes for breakfasts i cook. Its pretty handy though i only use it 2-3 a month.

Vitamix: Ive been neglecting this a lot, which is a shame cause it cost A LOT and it does a lot. its remarkable. I use it once a month only, but my roommate uses it 5x a week, so it least its being used. Soups, smoothies, coffee grinder, Ice cream, sorbet, peanut butter jsut by adding peanuts!!!! This fuckin thing does everything!!!!

Pizza Cutter: no one needs one, until they need one. I bought one since a pizza place didnt cut ours and I wished I had one. a knife just isnt as effective and kind of sucks to use. the cheese tends to fall off. then again, im like the incredible hulk playiong the Operation board game when I cut pizza with a knife.

Mortar and Pestle: I use this every other week. im obsessed with making my own guac now that ive had the best guac ive ever eaten from a mexican place in vegas.... in the same building as one of the top strip clubs.... separated by a wall but still, its funny to see familys walk into it. El Dorado Cantina changed my life and ive been trying to emulate that perfect guac ever since! no rahgrets on this one, for sure!
BigMush
Drunkin Beta Style

Postby BigMush » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:35 am

Best kitchen gadget i have is a quick knife sharpener <3

A sharp knife is better then sex imo
**Awesome Singnature**

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:35 am

BigMush wrote:Best kitchen gadget i have is a quick knife sharpener <3

A sharp knife is better then sex imo

ROFL!!!!! not only that, dull knives are frickin dangerous. thats when they start to slide off the veg or meat or whatever and cut fingers. Sharp is def key to safety. I really hate the noise it makes when you rub the knife against a sharpener though. its like nails on a chalkboard to me. smae when people eat ice cream out of a bowl and scrape the bowl with the metal spoon. UGH! makes me cringe every time!
girlapaloo
MF'n LION-O RIDING A UNICORN

Postby girlapaloo » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:48 pm

Zoku quick popsicle maker - love, love, love it.
Spoiler: show
Image Image
Philly
adept ninja

Postby Philly » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:20 pm

I love kitchen gadgets. I have a ton of random stuff like a quesadilla maker that prints pictures into the tortilla, 2 keurigs, a deep fryer, panini press, smoothie maker, a pink toaster and a knife block shaped like a strawberry. There's mso much more I wanna buy. I'm obsessed.
Never apologize for being nerdy because non-nerdy people never apologize for being assholes - john barrowman
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:12 am

Imma have to research done if these cause they sound really enticing! My wallet might not enjoy this thread, but cooking for yourself saves a ton of money and calories, if you're smart about it.
girlapaloo

Postby girlapaloo » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:45 pm

Aerobie Aeropress coffee press - best tasting coffee I've ever brewed at home.
Makes one or two cups of *perfection* at a time.
It's the little things.....

I like it even more than a French press.
And it's pretty portable, which is nice :)
Image Image
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:09 pm

girlapaloo wrote:Aerobie Aeropress coffee press - best tasting coffee I've ever brewed at home.

Oh shit!!! Better than my beloved French Press???? REALLY?!?!?!?! I feel like my French press brews perfection. Not that I don't believe you, I just didn't know there were even better ways to level up my coffeeage.
ImmaculateStiletto
ninja with training wheels

Postby ImmaculateStiletto » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:08 am

Keurig, toaster oven, blender. My baking supplies for cake decorating. I go the bed bath beyond. William Sonoma. Tatget just to see new gadgets. Splurge like every 2 months.
Have a Blessed Day
Hugs N Kisses :)
Skywalker
I Feel Ya Sista... Not in that way

Postby Skywalker » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:32 am

I have a pizza cutter that is older than my nephew. I need a new one.

I have a small mortar thing, it is stone, bought it on sale. I use it to crush up aspirin and any other pills given to me by my docs, I have an issue with pills.. Most docs think I am nuts, and nurses tend to hate me if I am at a hospital because of this, because then they have to crush up my meds. Ice cream helps them go down.

I had a KidAid Mixer tossed it because it was never used. Really, it was the huge hunk of metal that sat unused, everyone was like, get one, you will always use it. Nope, collected a lot of dust. Instead, my whisk and hand mixer get more use, because it is easier to use and clean. I also tend to hate bread recipes who first sentence, is get out your dough hook for your KitchenAid, bitch, please...

I have more glass dishes than legally allowed, I tend to make casseroles and never know which kind I am making. So I have a dish for just about every type. The kicker is a lot of the dishes are older than me, as I bought them from thrift stores and other places cheap. I never pay retail for a glass dish.

Chicken Fryer it is a large pan in which one makes fried chicken. This is a must for those who live in the South, granted mine is older than the Second World War. It is in needed a trip to a blacksmith so the bottom can be leveled out. It happens with older pots such as this, but it would work great if I still had a gas stove (currently on coil electric, it sucks!).

I also have other random crap in my why did I buy that. Such as an egg slicer. I also have a cheese grater thing that I got for a buck, it is very sharp and can cut potatoes. Which is wonderful for fried potato sandwiches (they are very yummy). An apple corer, do not eat enough apples for this to be handy, an egg whisk, I get eggs but use old trusty whisk (that I got my senior year of high school!).

Have a small food processor, that sits unused. I only useful around Christmas time when I need to make peppermint bark.

Then there is the Croc-Pot a must have. Granted it works wonder and I tend to use it often. The last thing I tried to cook which was slow cooker mac n cheese did not work out >.< bad facebook post!

I think that there a lot of different gadgets that can be used in a kitchen. Some are useful other ones are dumb.. like that egg slicer or the timer shaped like a cow (why mom, why??).
girlapaloo

Postby girlapaloo » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:54 pm

Rivoc wrote:
girlapaloo wrote:Aerobie Aeropress coffee press - best tasting coffee I've ever brewed at home.

Oh shit!!! Better than my beloved French Press???? REALLY?!?!?!?! I feel like my French press brews perfection. Not that I don't believe you, I just didn't know there were even better ways to level up my coffeeage.

Yes, really :)
The Aeropress makes a very smooth tasting cup of joe, and there aren't as many particles of coffee grounds that get through the filter.
I even went all out and bought the 18K gold filter disc. That way, more of the lovely oils from the coffee beans stick around and the flavor is amazing.

There are numerous ways you can brew using this thing. I love it. At first, hubby was making two separate cups for us in the morning (it brews a few cups at one time, but our cups are big'ol cups lol.) Now he's been putting in more grounds and making a "concentrate," which is then split between our mugs, then hot water and creamer is added to taste. That way, you only have to do one "plunge." You could get creative with it, making as big or small of a shot as you want.

If you ever get a chance I highly recommend giving it a try. I bought mine using one of the 20% off coupons that Bed Bath & Beyond always has. The replacement filters are pretty reasonable too, I think it's a pack of 200 for around $5.
Image Image
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Re:

Postby Rivoc » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:32 am

girlapaloo wrote:
Rivoc wrote:

Yes, really :)
The Aeropress makes a very smooth tasting cup of joe, and there aren't as many particles of coffee grounds that get through the filter.
I even went all out and bought the 18K gold filter disc. That way, more of the lovely oils from the coffee beans stick around and the flavor is amazing.

There are numerous ways you can brew using this thing. I love it. At first, hubby was making two separate cups for us in the morning (it brews a few cups at one time, but our cups are big'ol cups lol.) Now he's been putting in more grounds and making a "concentrate," which is then split between our mugs, then hot water and creamer is added to taste. That way, you only have to do one "plunge." You could get creative with it, making as big or small of a shot as you want.

If you ever get a chance I highly recommend giving it a try. I bought mine using one of the 20% off coupons that Bed Bath & Beyond always has. The replacement filters are pretty reasonable too, I think it's a pack of 200 for around $5.

I dont think i can handle that many steps. i would need a cup of coffee before making a cup of coffee that way. im completely useless without it in the morning. and its a lot of work for how much i drink, like 3-4 cups a day. I cant see me plunging that thing over the cup successfully, and the cleanup looks slightly more pain in the ass than my french press. the french press takes about as much work as a standard coffee machine but gives MUCH better quality for about the same amount of work. I cant justify putting a little more extra work into my mornings without a cup of coffee first. I trust you, its probably damn good. i just dont think its for me after watching this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2hLmvVwfX0

on the bright side, i DID discover this little silicone tube known as a garlic peeler!!! NO MORE GETTING GARLIC UNDER MY FINGERNAILS WHILE PEELING!!!!! it fuckin hurts and its time consuming and gets me sticky!!! now I just stick the clove in the tube, press down and roll it around 5 or 6 times and its instantly peeled perfectly!!!! such a simple invention..... Image
Corgimom
3 hours later...

Re: Kitchen Gadgets: Yay or nay?

Postby Corgimom » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:41 pm

I grew up drinking stove top percolator 8 oclock coffee every morning. I remember the sweet brew with canned condensed milk and dipping my crusts of white toast in it when my Granny's back was turned. That was as good as coffee got in the 50's.

In the 60's my mother's 5th husband was one of the founding partners of Gold Cup coffee company. Roasted and ground at the warehouse 100 percent arabica beans We had a restaurant style coffee maker by Bunn before Mr Coffee machines came out and that was amazing. A paper filter and no grounds. Hot damn.

At downtown Miami Dade Community College in the 70's I had an 8:30 am Algebra class that lead me to discover the mind altering benefits of espresso thanks to a Cuban cafe across the street. I'd march past the dark skinned men smoking cigars outside and drinking shots of espresso with a water back to order a cafe Café con leche Grande by pointing and holding up fingers. That is 5-6 shots of espresso and 8-10 oz of steamed milk. My life time addiction had moved onto the hard stuff. Within weeks I went to a Cuban grocery store and bought a stove top 8 cup (shot) maker. like thisImage The stove top pots are referred to in the industry as Moka pots. I still have one for camping.

About 15 years later electric machines were hitting the shelves so I got a Krupps. I think between 85 and 2006 I went through a dozen machines like that. I still have one of those hundred dollar ish ones in my go bag for travel. Frack American coffee and that crickets piss Starbuck's calls espresso. Give me Bustello or give me death.

At the turn of the century super automatic machines came to my attention. At over a grand it seemed like such an indulgence for just me but I shopped and watch the prices shift down a little until I ended up with a factory refurbished monster sized Jura Capresso-Impressa S8 in 2009. Perfection.

It has served me well but as a pretty smart machine a few things happened- the LED display went bad first and it lost the ability to store my cup programing a couple of years ago. The grinder failed last year. Now it just makes hot water no matter what I do so the hunt is on for the next perfect shot.

May your pursuit of gadgets lead you to great ones.
Image Image
est 1953

Return to “Random”