Twitter/Facebook/Texting language being used in the real wor

Discuss Current Events, Politics, Theology, Science, Society, Philosophy, Culture, etc. Please stay on-topic. Serious discussions/debates only. No personal attacks.

What pisses you off the most?

I don't make enough money
30%
I wish I could be healthier
15%
It's hard for me to make friends
No votes
I haven't been happy for a while
20%
All or several of the above
35%

Total votes: 20
Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Thu May 19, 2016 5:58 am

I feel that my love and faith meter for mankind and the future drops, everytime I get an assignment or anytime I overhear someone speak as ifd they are typing informally online to a friend.

It really pisses me off that this form of communication is seeping in the real world places it doesnt belong and shouldnt apply to. it makes me fear fore the younger generation and me when im older. And im definitely singling out theUS here. I dont kjnow if this happens in other countries as well, but it would sure be nice to hear from you international ninjas about your take on the matter.
Pawly
Grandmaster Sensei of the Dark Corners

Postby Pawly » Thu May 19, 2016 6:09 am

Slang is slang. Most of it will get forgotten sooner or later and some will stick and become commonplace.

Here, have a butterscotch to go with your sanka.

ImageImage
It's MY world. You just a squirrel tryna get a nut!
ImageImage
ImageImage
CLICK ME!!
PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Thu May 19, 2016 6:09 am

Students do it all the time. To me, those acronyms n such are what I term "internet lingo" and should remain for use on the internet. It annoys me when people say "lol" (or something similar) in face-to-face conversations, and it is completely unacceptable for work reports or student assignments.
-Master of all things pherret related
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Brewtality
novice ninja

Postby Brewtality » Thu May 19, 2016 7:58 am

Anyone saying 'LOL' out loud needs shooting on the spot.

ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Thu May 19, 2016 8:12 am

:lol: just the fact that its even a thing, just seems to highlight a dumbing down in general. is it not meant for shortcut speak in type form? but if people are shortcutting speech, the irony is that it loses the shortcut effect when spoken.. kind of ridiculous if you think about it
we are, what we allow to occupy us..

ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Thu May 19, 2016 8:15 am

aaand i really wanted to vote 4 but since you seemed genuinely peeved by it, riv, i tried to humor you.. ;)
we are, what we allow to occupy us..

Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Thu May 19, 2016 8:38 am

PhlawlessPhelon wrote:Students do it all the time. To me, those acronyms n such are what I term "internet lingo" and should remain for use on the internet. It annoys me when people say "lol" (or something similar) in face-to-face conversations, and it is completely unacceptable for work reports or student assignments.

I want to get in thier face and say Why don't I hear gales or laughter in the same voice usually reserved for responding to men who say 'I am a lesbian trapped in a mans body'.
Image Image
est 1953

Rivoc
8 Bit Wonder

Postby Rivoc » Mon May 23, 2016 5:09 am

Pawly wrote:Slang is slang. Most of it will get forgotten sooner or later and some will stick and become commonplace.

Here, have a butterscotch to go with your sanka.

Thanks!! I needed that!! ::NOMNOMNOMdisgustingoldpeoplechewingoutloudnoisesNOMNOMNOM::

ink wrote::lol: just the fact that its even a thing, just seems to highlight a dumbing down in general. is it not meant for shortcut speak in type form? but if people are shortcutting speech, the irony is that it loses the shortcut effect when spoken.. kind of ridiculous if you think about it

Thats the whole problem I have with it. We lose so much translation already when typing or texting, with or without the shortcuts. start rbinging those to person-to-person speech, and you're watering down your probably already poor communication. Its just going to lead to Idiocracy, if it holds up for years which I pray it wont.

ink wrote:aaand i really wanted to vote 4 but since you seemed genuinely peeved by it, riv, i tried to humor you.. ;)

HAHAHAHAHA thanks!!! I almost did that to humor myself. I was hoping someone would :)

Return to “C&D”