Campus employee assaults white student for "cultural appropr

Discuss Current Events, Politics, Theology, Science, Society, Philosophy, Culture, etc. Please stay on-topic. Serious discussions/debates only. No personal attacks.
User avatar
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious
Posts: 1779
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:48 pm
Location: Right Here
Contact:

Postby Feydakin » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:14 pm

Going viral now. Occurred at San Francisco State University on 3/28/2016.

Just curious what people think of this... not just he video itself but the point she is trying to make.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDlQ4H0Kdg8
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
User avatar
BigMush
Drunkin Beta Style
Posts: 531
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:22 pm
Location: Sweden

Postby BigMush » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:18 pm

I find this weird. One world, one people.


This is exactly what we must remove from existence. Shouldnt even be a problem. Should never had been a problem. Ever.


Shit aint okay at any way.
**Awesome Singnature**

ImageImageImageImageImage

Image
User avatar
ink
God's Fountain Pen
Posts: 2160
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:22 pm

Postby ink » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:09 pm

it appears that she was just showing out.. like i look at her face, and she looks like she is clearly on bully bs.. im just glad that it didnt escalate to something bad, im with you Mush.. One world, one people.. there is no ownership on culture, i mean, for example, in Japan, they honor hip hop harder than amercia does.. so yea, i feel that
we are, what we allow to occupy us..





Image
User avatar
Zansi'Vara
Dark Horse of many truths
Posts: 606
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:25 pm
Location: USA

Postby Zansi'Vara » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:13 pm

Wow, what even is some peoples' problem? What was that old adage? "If you don't have anything nice to say...?"
Image
ImageImage
ImageImage
User avatar
Zansi'Vara
Dark Horse of many truths
Posts: 606
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:25 pm
Location: USA

Postby Zansi'Vara » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:15 pm

Exactly, cultures wouldn't exist if they weren't shared. They're fascinating, often unique things that deserve to be appreciated by everyone.
Image
ImageImage
ImageImage
User avatar
ink
God's Fountain Pen
Posts: 2160
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:22 pm

Postby ink » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:20 pm

Zansi'Vara wrote:Exactly, cultures wouldn't exist if they weren't shared. They're fascinating, often unique things that deserve to be appreciated by everyone.

yes! i think this is why traveling is so important, just the ability to gain perspective form how other groups of ppl live
we are, what we allow to occupy us..





Image
User avatar
PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal
Posts: 960
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:20 am
Location: Krynn

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:26 pm

I have this discussion often.

While I do believe cultural appropriation is a topic worth discussing, this woman obviously handled it in an inappropriate manner. I say "obviously" because she seemed concerned that the conversation was being recorded and she should not have touched him. If she is an employee, then she has no right to put her hands on a student.

Cultural appropriation becomes a problem when the New York Post http://nypost.com/2016/03/14/ufc-is-inspiring-the-hottest-new-hair-trend/ publishes ridiculous stories and headlines that claim Malia Obama's hairstyle is somehow influenced by the women of UFC?!?! She is a black woman. I think her hairstyle choices run deeper than any influence of the UFC. Another example would be Kylie Jenner receiving praise and compliments for hairstyles that black women have historically been discriminated against for having.

If you are white and choose to rock ethnic hairstyles, then you should be open-minded and cognizant of the fact that racial minorities have, and still are, discriminated against for such hairstyles. In fact, unless you have extreme amounts of social capital, like Kylie Jenner, then you will likely also be discriminated against.
Image
-Master of all things pherret related
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
User avatar
BigMush
Drunkin Beta Style
Posts: 531
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:22 pm
Location: Sweden

Postby BigMush » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:49 pm

And people need to reflect over history.

Loose example:

150 years ago, the people in the next town over was scammers, delinquents and probably devil worshippers.
100 years ago, it was next big city. They were either uptight rich dancers, or free loving fishermen or farmers.
50 years ago, The country next over was the purest of devils, only made to dehumanize the bla bla bla more shit bla bla.

But everyone knows that the town over is our lovers, family and blood. Hating the next town would be outright silly.
And the next big city is just he same as ours, hell, we even talk about the same things, same sport teams, love, cash and future.
And the country is just our neigbours, they think and do the same as us, search for greater love and safety.Only a fake border dividing us.

And this is seen everywhere, social groups, football fans, even friends.

"That specific religion is pure evil" "That football team is jsut retards" "The people of this country are all sneaky" "This group of people are scum, probabvly less"


Its absolutely insane that we as a thinking spieces, not just human, can even fanthom a thought like this. We are so well formed and shaped by this weird tv-show-like reality, that even if know these things to be a fucking farce, we still have troubles with it in one way or another, football or racism.

Worst part is, shit has been repeating itself for thousands of years, will continue for thousands more,yet some people still have foggy eyes.

But we have weed for foggy eyes.



Fuck borders, fuck countries, fuck religion, fuck the weapon. No one is illegal.





..Might have detoured abit, but i needed that. In sweden, nazi parties and shit are rising.. I burned before, but now im flaming. Sorry for rant <3
**Awesome Singnature**

ImageImageImageImageImage

Image
User avatar
Zansi'Vara
Dark Horse of many truths
Posts: 606
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:25 pm
Location: USA

Postby Zansi'Vara » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:02 pm

Beautifully put. The world is our home, and humanity is out family.
Image
ImageImage
ImageImage
User avatar
Pawly
Grandmaster Sensei of the Dark Corners
Posts: 9775
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:46 am
Location: A Comfy Chair
Contact:

Postby Pawly » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:14 am

1> I saw this earlier today and my first instinct was ,"ppffffttt staged bullshit for internet points". I'm stickin' with my gut on this one.

2>"Cultural Appropriation" is a giant bunch of SJW bullshit. My background is Italian so all you motherfuckers stop eating pizza. Y'r propriatin' mah cultures! See how stupid that is? Basketball was invented in Canada, so stop playing. If you're not Indian I better not catch you doing yoga! Don't shave a mohawk on your head or the indigenous Mohawks up my way will scalp a bitch! it goes on and on. It's BS.
ImageImage
It's MY world. You just a squirrel tryna get a nut!
ImageImage
ImageImage
CLICK ME!!
User avatar
cerrodepedro
Words. I kill them.
Posts: 856
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:21 pm
Location: Intermountain West

Postby cerrodepedro » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:42 am

PhlawlessPhelon wrote:I have this discussion often.

While I do believe cultural appropriation is a topic worth discussing, this woman obviously handled it in an inappropriate manner. I say "obviously" because she seemed concerned that the conversation was being recorded and she should not have touched him. If she is an employee, then she has no right to put her hands on a student.

Cultural appropriation becomes a problem when the New York Post http://nypost.com/2016/03/14/ufc-is-inspiring-the-hottest-new-hair-trend/ publishes ridiculous stories and headlines that claim Malia Obama's hairstyle is somehow influenced by the women of UFC?!?! She is a black woman. I think her hairstyle choices run deeper than any influence of the UFC. Another example would be Kylie Jenner receiving praise and compliments for hairstyles that black women have historically been discriminated against for having.

If you are white and choose to rock ethnic hairstyles, then you should be open-minded and cognizant of the fact that racial minorities have, and still are, discriminated against for such hairstyles. In fact, unless you have extreme amounts of social capital, like Kylie Jenner, then you will likely also be discriminated against.


For me part of being able to enjoy humanity more means being able to separate what's theirs culturally from both 1) how I view it, and 2) how I can never have it simply because some life experiences are irrevocably unique and lived by no more than a few.
Once was lost and now am lost; was blind but now I smoke
Image
Image
Rwn
Missing In Action...
Posts: 572
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:57 am
Location: Seattle

Postby Rwn » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:40 am

Well fuck me, isn't that what white people are great at throughout history?

Well let's take a look at the major religion here in America and a lot of the world. Christianity and the many sects. The majority of the holidays as we know them today only exist because they literally stole parts of other religions holidays and mixed them together to make the transition to Christianity easier.

But hey I love me rice, does that mean I am trying to be Asian? I love me some rap, does that mean I am trying to be black, i could go on for hours about this...

In the end my whole thought process is simple. I appreciate what you consider your culture, but how fucking narrow minded can you be to think that it belongs to you and not the world as a whole.
Image
User avatar
PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal
Posts: 960
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:20 am
Location: Krynn

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:34 pm

Image
-Master of all things pherret related
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
User avatar
Feydakin
Blissfully Oblivious
Posts: 1779
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:48 pm
Location: Right Here
Contact:

Postby Feydakin » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:40 pm

It's disturbing to me how ignorant many of the people responding to the video have been, in Youtube comments and news feed comments...
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"Image
ImageImage
Kay
grasshopper
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:47 am
Location: Minnesconsin

Postby Kay » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:01 am

// just wrote a really nice post about this in my phone and accidentally hit something. It's gone now.

I'll condense it into a Tl;dr

I think we SHOULD be appreciating other ethnicities hair style. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. There's nothing I find sexier on a black woman than a nice Afro. I find it strong and ultra appealing. If I had the hair type and I could pull it off, I would. But I'm an Irish/Norwegian. It's just not in the cards for me. :(
Image
Image
User avatar
PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal
Posts: 960
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:20 am
Location: Krynn

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:59 am

pawly wrote:"Cultural Appropriation" is a giant bunch of SJW bullshit. My background is Italian so all you motherfuckers stop eating pizza. Y'r propriatin' mah cultures! See how stupid that is? Basketball was invented in Canada, so stop playing. If you're not Indian I better not catch you doing yoga! Don't shave a mohawk on your head or the indigenous Mohawks up my way will scalp a bitch! it goes on and on. It's BS.


Are you discriminated against over anything pizza related? Were the inventors of basketball discriminated against or held back by society because of the sport they created? Yes, it does seem stupid. That being said, many folks on both sides of the debate confuse the difference between appropriation and assimilation.

Yoga and mohawks are better examples. Yoga is something I know very little about, but I have read great articles on how teachers of yoga are actively addressing this issue by attempting to return to the historical roots of the tradition. Honestly, I think they should just rename the western practice of yoga, because it is inherently different from its roots (i.e. eastern culture=lifestyle; western culture=exercise)

As far as Mohawks, my original thoughts remain relevant ..."If you are white and choose to rock ethnic hairstyles, then you should be open-minded and cognizant of the fact that racial minorities have, and still are, discriminated against for such hairstyles. In fact, unless you have extreme amounts of social capital, like Kylie Jenner, then you will likely also be discriminated against."

Rwn wrote:But hey I love me rice, does that mean I am trying to be Asian?


Actually, the expansion of Asian cuisine across America is not appropriation, but rather a perfect example of assimilation. Asians, specifically Chinese families, invested in restaurants as a direct response to the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882.

..some advocates (some would label as SJWs) may go overboard by claiming that no white people should have afros, braids, mohawks, dreads, etc. It shouldn't be an issue if that individual is cognizant of the past (and present) associated with such hairstyles (or practices-in the case of eating rice, practicing yoga, etc.). To that point, do you think Kylie Jenner and many other individuals truly grasp the struggles that some black women have encountered because of their hairstyles (i.e. until two years ago braids could be considered a "matted and unkempt" hairstyle by military officials)? I'm also aware that some of my views could easily get me labeled as a SJW.
Image
-Master of all things pherret related
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
User avatar
ink
God's Fountain Pen
Posts: 2160
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:22 pm

Postby ink » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:25 pm

Pawly wrote:1> I saw this earlier today and my first instinct was ,"ppffffttt staged bullshit for internet points". I'm stickin' with my gut on this one.

2>"Cultural Appropriation" is a giant bunch of SJW bullshit. My background is Italian so all you motherfuckers stop eating pizza. Y'r propriatin' mah cultures! See how stupid that is? Basketball was invented in Canada, so stop playing. If you're not Indian I better not catch you doing yoga! Don't shave a mohawk on your head or the indigenous Mohawks up my way will scalp a bitch! it goes on and on. It's BS.

:lol: Pawly





but with respect to what phlawless is eluding to, and im trying to word this right..

appropriation, as in the adoption of cultural elements in a colonial manner, or oppressive manner where it could turn from a flattery of sorts to a vice to reinforce stereotypes and worst case remove the origin altogether
we are, what we allow to occupy us..





Image
User avatar
PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal
Posts: 960
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:20 am
Location: Krynn

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:17 pm

Ink wrote:appropriation, as in the adoption of cultural elements in a colonial manner, or oppressive manner where it could turn from a flattery of sorts to a vice to reinforce stereotypes and worst case remove the origin altogether


To piggyback off of what Ink said, try to look at my NyPost article example. They attributed the "origin" of Malia Obama's hairstyle to UFC women fighters.

Also, upon re-reading, I may have come off in a negative manner with my questions. I want to be clear--They were meant to challenge thought, not attack. I enjoy these types of discussions but sometimes come off as too critical in how I approach certain topics.
Image
-Master of all things pherret related
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
User avatar
Pawly
Grandmaster Sensei of the Dark Corners
Posts: 9775
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:46 am
Location: A Comfy Chair
Contact:

Postby Pawly » Mon May 02, 2016 7:37 pm

PhlawlessPhelon wrote:
pawly wrote:"Cultural Appropriation" is a giant bunch of SJW bullshit. My background is Italian so all you motherfuckers stop eating pizza. Y'r propriatin' mah cultures! See how stupid that is? Basketball was invented in Canada, so stop playing. If you're not Indian I better not catch you doing yoga! Don't shave a mohawk on your head or the indigenous Mohawks up my way will scalp a bitch! it goes on and on. It's BS.


Are you discriminated against over anything pizza related? Were the inventors of basketball discriminated against or held back by society because of the sport they created? Yes, it does seem stupid. That being said, many folks on both sides of the debate confuse the difference between appropriation and assimilation.

Yoga and mohawks are better examples. Yoga is something I know very little about, but I have read great articles on how teachers of yoga are actively addressing this issue by attempting to return to the historical roots of the tradition. Honestly, I think they should just rename the western practice of yoga, because it is inherently different from its roots (i.e. eastern culture=lifestyle; western culture=exercise)

As far as Mohawks, my original thoughts remain relevant ..."If you are white and choose to rock ethnic hairstyles, then you should be open-minded and cognizant of the fact that racial minorities have, and still are, discriminated against for such hairstyles. In fact, unless you have extreme amounts of social capital, like Kylie Jenner, then you will likely also be discriminated against."

Rwn wrote:But hey I love me rice, does that mean I am trying to be Asian?


Actually, the expansion of Asian cuisine across America is not appropriation, but rather a perfect example of assimilation. Asians, specifically Chinese families, invested in restaurants as a direct response to the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882.

..some advocates (some would label as SJWs) may go overboard by claiming that no white people should have afros, braids, mohawks, dreads, etc. It shouldn't be an issue if that individual is cognizant of the past (and present) associated with such hairstyles (or practices-in the case of eating rice, practicing yoga, etc.). To that point, do you think Kylie Jenner and many other individuals truly grasp the struggles that some black women have encountered because of their hairstyles (i.e. until two years ago braids could be considered a "matted and unkempt" hairstyle by military officials)? I'm also aware that some of my views could easily get me labeled as a SJW.



I got sidetracked and fergot about this thread, WELL I'M BACK YOU SJW MOFOS!! :lol: Just kidding this is a good discussion.

Are you really going to try and tell us that blacks, and the indigenous were discriminated against BECAUSE OF THEIR HAIR?? They were discriminated against because of their race. Did the hair set them apart? Sure but so did their skin, language, diet, clothing etc etc.

Americans seem to think that "culture" is just white, black, latino, asian and indigenous (and the last three, it would seem when these racial issues come up, are an afterthought in American minds). I fall into the "white" category but my culture (Italian or even Canadian) is far different from say British or Polish or Finnish cultures or even Italian American culture. Japanese culture is nothing like Korean culture. Kenyan or Congolese culture has little to nothing in common with African American culture.

The folks upset about hairstyles (yeah SJWs) are grabbing at straws looking for something to be incensed about. Even the girl in the video is smiling and laughing the whole time because she wants to give the white kid a hard time for her amusement.

Are you discriminated against over anything pizza related?

Many Italians (my father included) were spit on and beaten when coming to North America before and especially after WWII. They were called Dagos, Wops, Greasy Guidos and Nazis. Jobs and apartments were denied because of who they were. Did they have it as bad as others, no but they still suffered. I still have to listen to jokes and media stereotypes about my people being mafioso. I still get called a wop sometimes.

Starbucks is on record as saying that they copied the Italian "coffee culture" in their business model. Does this piss me off? No, because I'm an adult and there are far more worrisome issues in society than who drinks what or who wears what hair style.

Racial issues are far more than black and white and hairstyles are the least of the problem.
ImageImage
It's MY world. You just a squirrel tryna get a nut!
ImageImage
ImageImage
CLICK ME!!
User avatar
PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal
Posts: 960
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:20 am
Location: Krynn

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Tue May 03, 2016 2:57 am

Pawly wrote:...and hairstyles are the least of the problem.


Easy to say when you aren't being discriminated against for your ethnic hairstyles. You aren't a black woman with an afro or braids. If you were, then I am sure your opinions on this issue would be slightly different, especially after a few job interviews.

Pawly wrote:Are you really going to try and tell us that blacks, and the indigenous were discriminated against BECAUSE OF THEIR HAIR??


Yes I am.

from my original post: "until two years ago braids could be considered a "matted and unkempt" hairstyle by military officials"

That sounds like discrimination BECAUSE OF HAIR....

Further reading for those that are bored (these articles contain examples and discussions of hairstyle discrimination in employment):
Hair's the Thing: Trait Discrimination and Forced Performance of Race through Racially Conscious Public School Hairstyle Prohibitions (PDF Law Review)
Don't Get it Twisted: Why Employer Hairstyle Prohibitions are Racially Discriminatory (Abstract)
Trait discrimination as race discrimination: An argument about assimilation (Abstract)
The Naked Truth: Appearance Discrimination,Employment, and the Law (PDF- Law Review)
Image
-Master of all things pherret related
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
User avatar
Pawly
Grandmaster Sensei of the Dark Corners
Posts: 9775
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:46 am
Location: A Comfy Chair
Contact:

Postby Pawly » Tue May 03, 2016 7:39 am

PhlawlessPhelon wrote:Easy to say when you aren't being discriminated against for your ethnic hairstyles. You aren't a black woman with an afro or braids. If you were, then I am sure your opinions on this issue would be slightly different, especially after a few job interviews.
Because braids are exclusive to black culture going back hundreds even thousands of years? Actually the oldest known representations of braids were found in Austria and France (approx. 25000 - 30000 years ago). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braid People have been braiding their hair all over the world for thousands of years. http://www.lovelyish.com/2013/04/15/the-beautiful-and-amazing-history-of-braids/

The women you speak of were discriminated against because of their race. The hairstyles are an excuse used because they can't say "we don't want black people working here". But we're getting off point. Braids, dreads or plaits are not exclusive to black culture.

Spoilered the desiccated Mummy pics for the faint of heart.
[spoiler]Peruvian Mummy
Image
Incan
Image[/spoiler]ImageImageImage
PhlawlessPhelon wrote:

from my original post: "until two years ago braids could be considered a "matted and unkempt" hairstyle by military officials"
That sounds like discrimination BECAUSE OF HAIR....

Or it could be the military being the military, liking everything uniform, no one standing out as an individual. The fact that a concession was made in the first place (that women not be made to buzz their hair short like their male colleagues) counts for nothing I suppose? A second concession was needed to appease? Wow, so hard done by in the hair department.

Grabbing at straws looking for something to be incensed about.
ImageImage
It's MY world. You just a squirrel tryna get a nut!
ImageImage
ImageImage
CLICK ME!!
bigsexywzp
the unproven
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:08 pm

Postby bigsexywzp » Tue May 03, 2016 9:54 am

I've never really understood the "cultural appropriation" thing.

Haven't we always traded bits and pieces from other cultures as we've come into contact with them? This is how humans come together, grow, and thrive. By finding things that others do that we enjoy, and using them to bring us closer. Creating trust and social bonds that drive us to work together.

"I like your food."

"I like your hair."

"Here, this is how I make my food. Please show me how you style your hair."

Of all the things to get pissed about, the fact someone styles their hair in a manner that is reminiscent of another group of people is pure nonsense.

Yeah, if they were doing it to make a mockery or insult an ethnic or religious group? It would be different. We're talking minstrel shows and blackface kind of actions. Just out and out disrespect, with the intent to demean or degrade.

But getting angry that someone is enjoying another culture's style and hoping it makes them comfortable in their own skin? Is childish and petty.
User avatar
Brewtality
novice ninja
Posts: 412
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:09 pm
Location: Tanzania, East Africa

Postby Brewtality » Tue May 03, 2016 12:25 pm

Remembering history and being cognizant of it is very important. However, if you live your life with your head in the past then you're doomed to a life of anger, resentment and fulfillment.

I think it's disingenuous to say that people have been persecuted or discriminated against BECAUSE of their hairstyles. It's not the hair that is the issue, it's the person underneath the hair. I sincerely doubt that any segregationists 100 years ago were saying to each other, "Y'know what Jeb, I think they're lovely people but man, those haircuts just make me hate them!". Now, obviously, when you are part of an oppressed group, you seek to find pride in the things which make you different because what else have you got? When this happens, things like a hairstyle can take on extra significance for you. But whilst it may have extra significance for you, you do not own it.

One thing that does annoy me is this nebulous idea some people seem to have of 'black culture' because there is no such thing. What they are referring to is 'black American' culture. However, some of these people seem to act as if they have the right or the ability to speak on behalf of dark-skinned people everywhere. I live in Africa and I can't remember seeing anybody walking around with an afro. You get dudes walking around with dreadlocks calling themselves rastas simply because they like smoking weed and listening to reggae. Is that not cultural appropriation? Should I take a trip down to where they all all hang out and chastise them for simply appropriating the aesthetics of another culture whilst ignoring the cultural and religious reasons behind those aesthetics? It sounds ridiculous doesn't it?

I'm not a fan of this culture of people believing that as a member of a certain group, they have some kind of special right to tell others what is right and wrong.

"As a mother...."
"As a black woman..."
"As a gay man..."
"As a [insert any group]..."

Being black doesn't all of a sudden give you the right to call me a racist bigot for having dreadlocks. It's a very interesting topic to study. When I read various 'SJW' (a term I don't really like because I mean, who isn't interested in achieving social justice?) arguments, I find it very interesting how certain phenomena are defined or redefined. Go onto a college campus today and ask what racism is and you're like to be told "Racism = power + privilege" which it isn't. It would have interesting to see whether that girl would have reacted the same way to say, a student of Japanese heritage wearing an afro or dreadlocks. A lot of this 'SJW' sort of movement is a reaction against white males. In a way, that's very understandable. White men have had the monopoly on power in many parts of the world for a long time. However, aren't we supposed to be trying to work together to make the world a better place? What kind of progress is served by arguing over hairstyles or clothing? Aren't ideas like 'America' there to transcend individual differences? The Apollo missions were carried out by an overwhelmingly white, male group of people. Does that or should that preclude modern black Americans from feeling proud of the achievement of landing people on the Moon? How about white people being proud to have a black president elected or a black woman on the $20 bill? Some things are supposed to be bigger than ideas of race.

In the white male population, only a fraction are sexist, racist bigots. So why tar everyone with the same brush? This idea of 'Not All Men' is picked apart and ridiculed frequently. However, if you were in the USA and brought up the crime stats and pointed out how a higher proportion of black people are in jail than any other race, you would - quite rightly - be told that 'not all black people are criminals'. Now the reasons for such stats are not up for debate. Racism is behind it. End of. It may be modern day racism, institutional racism or the after-effects of years of racist policies. Whatever, that's not the issue. The issue is that if we are to move forward as a people, as a species then we need to get over this fetish of exclusion and difference.

"You can't play golf here because you're black."

"This is a men's only club."

"You can't have that hairstyle because you're white."

"You have to walk at the back of the march because you're a man and this is a women's group."

"A tall black men is threatening, therefore it was acceptable for the officer to shoot."

I've gone on a massive ramble here but the main point is that I'm not a believer in the sins of the father being passed down to the son (or from mother to son/daughter, or father to daughter or y'know, from an adult human to a child who holds no particular gender identity and shouldn't have one forced upon them until they are old enough to make their own decisions :P). Try and accept everyone as an individual. Before you start pointing finger and shouting 'CULTURAL APPROPRIATION' at people, why not talk to them? You don't know where people come from or what their experiences are so judging them by their hairstyle or clothes alone breeds nothing but ignorance and division. What if the dude had a best friend who wore dreads and he was wearing them in tribute? What if he had a black grandmother? What if he fully appreciates and understands the history and cultural implications of dreadlocks in North America and feels some sort of affinity? Just talk.

I almost get the impression that some people feel as though they've missed out by not experiencing the discrimination of the past and go looking for it because to some people, feeling like a victim feels kinda good. Kinda like emo kids pretending to be depressed because they wanted to be like their idols. That's not directed at any particular race or group by the way, I just seem to see all these people getting very offended on behalf of other people and y'know, a lot of them are white males...

Anyway, enough from me. Peace and love to all!
Image

Image
User avatar
PhlawlessPhelon
phrankly phenomenal
Posts: 960
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:20 am
Location: Krynn

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Tue May 03, 2016 6:42 pm

Pawly wrote:Because braids are exclusive to black culture going back hundreds even thousands of years?


Have never once said that. I did use a hypothetical black female as one example.

Pawly wrote:Actually the oldest known representations of braids were found in Austria and France (approx. 25000 - 30000 years ago).

This is debated (even Wikipedia notes this). Also, you conveniently linked to the "braids" page instead of "cornrows"...Of course all cultures have worn braided hairstyles. Every mention of braids I have used has been in reference to "cornrow" styles (and those closely related to such styles).

Pawly wrote:The women you speak of were discriminated against because of their race. The hairstyles are an excuse used because they can't say "we don't want black people working here".


Again, from my earlier post....still seems relevant..."If you are white and choose to rock ethnic hairstyles, then you should be open-minded and cognizant of the fact that racial minorities have, and still are, discriminated against for such hairstyles."

Pawly wrote:Grabbing at straws looking for something to be incensed about.


This isn't constructive and is simply antagonistic.
Image
-Master of all things pherret related
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
User avatar
Pawly
Grandmaster Sensei of the Dark Corners
Posts: 9775
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:46 am
Location: A Comfy Chair
Contact:

Postby Pawly » Tue May 03, 2016 8:19 pm

PhlawlessPhelon wrote: Every mention of braids I have used has been in reference to "cornrow" styles (and those closely related to such styles).

Actually you haven't mentioned cornrows at all until this post. In fact you pointed to an NYP article showing Miss Obama wearing a french braid, not cornrows. Cornrows and french braids ARE popular in fighting sports, with men and women who have long hair, not as fashion but to keep your opponent from grabbing your hair whether on purpose or by accident.
Again, from my earlier post....still seems relevant..."If you are white and choose to rock ethnic hairstyles, then you should be open-minded and cognizant of the fact that racial minorities have, and still are, discriminated against for such hairstyles."

What makes you think people who do wear those hairstyles aren't aware? Who decides if their level of awareness is adequate? Even if they aren't aware , how does that impact negatively on those trying to fight against racism? If anything it shows acceptance. If you choose NOT to wear your hair, or eat food , or wear clothing etc. in a certain way to show some sort of solidarity with a group you feel needs your support, well all power to you. But who are you or anyone to say how others should style their hair or dress themselves?

Pawly wrote:Grabbing at straws looking for something to be incensed about.


PhlawlessPhelon wrote:This isn't constructive and is simply antagonistic.

I was referencing my previous post, "The folks upset about hairstyles (yeah SJWs) are grabbing at straws looking for something to be incensed about.".
ImageImage
It's MY world. You just a squirrel tryna get a nut!
ImageImage
ImageImage
CLICK ME!!

Return to “C&D”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 132 guests