Page 1 of 1

Posted: Fri May 13, 2016 5:34 am
by AMIT
Another day building someone else's dream. Some times I get tired of it all and want to quit, but I just keep reminding myself that I am still learning and have a ways to go before I'm ready to take on the world in my own way.

At some-point I want set out with a team and create something that will change the world. I'm not sure what that is yet, but I have a sneaky suspicion Ninjas on the team are a must.

I've quietly been working on a system for cars to operate on that I call EVA (Emotional Vehicle Architecture). It centers around our cars becoming more about how they make us feel rather than what kind of fuel economy we get.

That's my idea.

What's yours? It's going to take the whole village you know.

Posted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:06 pm
by Corgimom
Thats cool but massive.

I have one little idea that envolves the same industrial diamond coated aluminum that is used to make metal nail files but I am still waiting for numbers to do a manufacturing cost analysis. If the numbers crunch out I'll do a kickstarter and a more in depth market analysis.

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:14 am
by Zombie
I thought about this yesterday while working on kraftycrate.. I would love to do product videos on youtube like a diy guide etc than I thought fuck Im shit in front of a camera so why not pay established you tubers within the craft/diy field to do it for me.. But how the fuck do I go about That?

Instead of going through each youtuber profile I liked I would just build a marketplace of sorts to have businesses create 'jobs' of that they want the youtube to do /say like a script and invite youtubers that register to look over the job and accept they get to add there rate etc and essentially make it easier to reach out to youtubers.

Re: Let's hear your ideas!

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:11 am
by bigsexywzp
I've wanted to get into the educational sector for a while. I wanted to make it a non-profit, but I was willing to start up a for-profit business if I didn't think I can make a non-profit business model work.

I've finally come up with the idea, but because it would be primarily centered around a program/app to function on mobile devices? I've hit a brick wall. I know next to nothing about programming. I'm not literate in any languages.

I want to take the Uber/Lyft model of matching drivers with paying passengers, and apply it to tutors and study partners. This would be great, not just for college students, but for high school kids, homeschool kids, people getting their GED, people taking a correspondance course, or just anyone trying to learn something on their own.

To be considered eligible, I would want to have strict criteria. People would have to say what subjects they wanted to tutor in and provide educational transcripts to show that they at least had good records and were at least proficient in what they wanted to help people in. I wouldn't want someone who never took a course in statistics or calculus end up tutoring someone in statistics or calculus.

This will never be a business that people will make a basic living off of, unlike Lyft or Uber, that can pay fairly well in certain circumstances and areas.

The whole point of this would be for college students or teachers to supplement their income by giving people some one-on-one time for an hour or two at a time.

My first idea was to make this simply a community based program. My non-profit would buy or rent a building and it would serve as an after-school gathering place for older students making good grades to get paid to serve as a mentor and tutor to younger kids for a few hours each day, or a place for peers and friends to meet and study, but I figured this would end up just being a glorified babysitting/socializing service and nothing would be accomplished.

Plus? I don't know how that kind of brick and mortar model would survive without costing more than the households that would need this sort of service could afford, and the whole purpose of this idea is to provide a service that would give poor and minority students, who tend to be more at-risk, a helping hand.

Re: Let's hear your ideas!

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:53 am
by Skywalker
bigsexywzp wrote:I've wanted to get into the educational sector for a while. I wanted to make it a non-profit, but I was willing to start up a for-profit business if I didn't think I can make a non-profit business model work.

I've finally come up with the idea, but because it would be primarily centered around a program/app to function on mobile devices? I've hit a brick wall. I know next to nothing about programming. I'm not literate in any languages.

I want to take the Uber/Lyft model of matching drivers with paying passengers, and apply it to tutors and study partners. This would be great, not just for college students, but for high school kids, homeschool kids, people getting their GED, people taking a correspondance course, or just anyone trying to learn something on their own.

To be considered eligible, I would want to have strict criteria. People would have to say what subjects they wanted to tutor in and provide educational transcripts to show that they at least had good records and were at least proficient in what they wanted to help people in. I wouldn't want someone who never took a course in statistics or calculus end up tutoring someone in statistics or calculus.

This will never be a business that people will make a basic living off of, unlike Lyft or Uber, that can pay fairly well in certain circumstances and areas.

The whole point of this would be for college students or teachers to supplement their income by giving people some one-on-one time for an hour or two at a time.

My first idea was to make this simply a community based program. My non-profit would buy or rent a building and it would serve as an after-school gathering place for older students making good grades to get paid to serve as a mentor and tutor to younger kids for a few hours each day, or a place for peers and friends to meet and study, but I figured this would end up just being a glorified babysitting/socializing service and nothing would be accomplished.

Plus? I don't know how that kind of brick and mortar model would survive without costing more than the households that would need this sort of service could afford, and the whole purpose of this idea is to provide a service that would give poor and minority students, who tend to be more at-risk, a helping hand.


Look into grants for this sort of thing. A lot of time Title I schools are given money to help their students, so a lot of them use tutoring companies if you can undercut them then you could get the contract to tutor the poorer kids. This could be supplemented by adults who could afford to pay more for tutoring.

This is a really cool plan and I can see it working as a community thing, especially in larger cities or even in smaller towns were tutoring is not really even though about. To them, it is something that happens in the larger cities, not in the country where they live at. I could see this helping out the poorer students who are behind and a lot of teachers would support such an idea if the safety of the students could be taken care of (need some background checks for folks).

Re: Let's hear your ideas!

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:51 am
by Charmosa
Has anyone used Fiverr before? It seems like a lot of people must and I'm wondering if the work is worth the time on the creator side.

Re: Let's hear your ideas!

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:53 pm
by girlapaloo
Charmosa wrote:Has anyone used Fiverr before? It seems like a lot of people must and I'm wondering if the work is worth the time on the creator side.


I think it could be worth it if you're patient at first, while building up your feedback rating. I wouldn't depend on it to be your main source of income, but once you become a top rated creator, repeat business will be your bread and butter.

I've actually used a couple artists on there for a few small design requests, even though I was capable of doing them. Their portfolio spoke for itself, and there were at least a few positive feedback reviews. If I ever started selling services on Fiverr I would be sure to make my portfolio stand out. There seems to be a lot of copycats out there who steal other people's designs and just slightly tweak them. It's so obvious when you look at their body of work, and there's a consistent mediocrity to all of the pieces, except for one or two that have a different style/quality to them (but with a touch of mediocre flair added, ha.)

Re: Let's hear your ideas!

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:25 pm
by Charmosa
Got it. Thanks for responding! I know what you mean by mediocrity, but hey, for $5 I'd probably not put forth my most creative work either, I suppose.

Re: Let's hear your ideas!

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:22 pm
by Corgimom
Charmosa wrote:Has anyone used Fiverr before? It seems like a lot of people must and I'm wondering if the work is worth the time on the creator side.

I have hired voice/spokesperson talent through fiver a few times. There is a pretty wide selection of folk. Here's one-

Re: Let's hear your ideas!

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:07 am
by Philly
I have a random idea to buy an old fast food joint with a drive thru & only sell cigarettes. Open 23/7/365 never get out of your car. With the right location I could probably make bank. To my knowledge only Florida and Ohio have em. I don't even smoke but I think its brilliant

Re: Let's hear your ideas!

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:21 am
by ghostdogg
Philly wrote:I have a random idea to buy an old fast food joint with a drive thru & only sell cigarettes. Open 23/7/365 never get out of your car. With the right location I could probably make bank. To my knowledge only Florida and Ohio have em. I don't even smoke but I think its brilliant


we've got one of those near me but it's not 24/7... i could see this defo working!!

Re: Let's hear your ideas!

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:45 am
by Philly
Spoiler: show
q
I live in a big city so I could see it working here. Just need to learn more about the legalities since cigarettes are all taxed and have government regulation price guides.

Re: Let's hear your ideas!

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:56 am
by Beakedbard
Well to be fair people used to do that with Nitrous Oxide here until it got made illegal and they made a killing off it you just got to find a niche and hand your cards out to parties there will always be someone as long as you are willing to be up til stupid o clock in the morning. I mean hell they even do it with alcohol here because my city sucks and has no 24/7 places that can sell it after 12.

Re: Let's hear your ideas!

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:17 am
by NaranjaRa
first off i just need to say that crowdsourcing for artists/designers is HORRIBLE AND CONTRIBUTES TO THE DESTRUCTION OF THE LIVELIHOODS OF ALL STRUGGLING CREATIVES. i could really go off on this a TON because it pisses me off to no end, but i'll just leave it at an opinion expressed. plenty of smarter voices than mine out there can explain the multitude of reasons why it's harmful to the art & design profession.

Philly wrote:I have a random idea to buy an old fast food joint with a drive thru & only sell cigarettes. Open 23/7/365 never get out of your car. With the right location I could probably make bank. To my knowledge only Florida and Ohio have em. I don't even smoke but I think its brilliant


DUDE. my little ol' town in MD used to have a drive-thru liquor store. twas awesome and amazing and survived through most of my time growing up until the late 90's. if the laws allow....and the need is there....you can make a killing.

and that's really the trick, is it not?
figure out something that people need + your own abilities = a thriving business.

besides my design work i've been trying to think of an actual product i can create for probably the past decade. /62

Re: Let's hear your ideas!

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:24 pm
by Lena
I have an idea I've been mulling over the past month or two.

I work with several nonprofits in San Francisco where there is a serious crisis of non-profit displacement. Meaning, many of the community-based nonprofits can no longer afford to operate in the communities they exist to serve. It's also true that the communities they serve can no longer afford to live there either. It's a shit show, honestly.

Given this, I'm thinking of an app that connects organizations and people who need short-term meeting space. Think AirBnb for companies/nonprofits, programs/initiatives, and individuals. There are similar models out there but from what I can tell some platforms either have space, or acquire it, and then offer their meeting space for guests. Breather.com is one that comes to mind.

My idea is different in that I would provide a platform for people to find space and share unused space, with a focus on connecting nonprofits and mission-driven projects and programs. I have a few revenue models in mind:
1) A membership model: members pay a monthly subscription fee to access X amount of meeting space per month
2) Commission model: emulates airbnb, no subscription fee required, but each transaction acquires commission from both the host and guest.
3) A combination of 1 and 2 -- members pay a monthly subscription and get access to X amount of meeting space per month, and a discounted commission on hourly/daily rates for space thereafter.

I would also like to consider an exchange/share model, for lack of a better word. When space is shared free of charge, the "giver" earns credit towards the use of other space. I would have to think through how the app can benefit from such an exchange - perhaps through suggested donation or a minimal fee since credit is earned which has future monetary value. I dunno.

Much more to think through...