A School District That Was Never Desegregated

Stay informed with these less controversial but just as important news articles. If topics prove contentious they will be moved the debate area.
Skywalker
I Feel Ya Sista... Not in that way

Postby Skywalker » Tue May 17, 2016 5:52 am

Decades after Brown v. Board of Education, a small town in Mississippi has yet to unify its black and white students.

"The Atlantic" wrote:CLEVELAND, Miss.—The wheels of justice have been said to turn slowly. And few things move quickly here in Cleveland, Mississippi, a town of 12,000 people with no movie theater and a quaint commercial district that’s shuttered on Sunday. But when a deadline on a school desegregation suit—originally filed in 1965—came and went last month with opposing sides still unable to agree on a resolution, some locals admitted frustration.

Read Article for Infomation

phrankly phenomenal

Postby PhlawlessPhelon » Tue May 17, 2016 8:49 am

I gave it a quick read because I found it interesting. Then I found this article.

Mississippi District Ordered to Desegregate Its Schools
-Master of all things pherret related
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
bigsexywzp
the unproven

Postby bigsexywzp » Wed May 18, 2016 7:28 am

...when a deadline on a school desegregation suit—originally filed in 1965— came and went last month with opposing sides still unable to agree on a resolution

51 years later, and they're still unable to agree on a resolution? WTF?

And people try to say that racism isn't prevalent in America anymore....
Corgimom
3 hours later...

Postby Corgimom » Wed May 18, 2016 12:37 pm

Keep an eye on NC- if the federal government pulls education funds you can bet there will be places where segregation will be revived.
Image Image
est 1953

ink
God's Fountain Pen

Postby ink » Wed May 18, 2016 1:43 pm

Wow, talk about taking steps backwards. :|
we are, what we allow to occupy us..

Skywalker
I Feel Ya Sista... Not in that way

Postby Skywalker » Wed May 18, 2016 3:41 pm

Corgimom wrote:Keep an eye on NC- if the federal government pulls education funds you can bet there will be places where segregation will be revived.

As someone who lives in North Carolina, the federal government does not need to pull Federal Funds for this to happen. Research the way that school lines were drawn in Raleigh after Brown v Board. Hell the school district I am trying to land a job currently having integration issues, and I think they might still be under a federal desegregation order because in 1965 someone burned down the K-12 Negro/Black school in the county.

ink wrote:Wow, talk about taking steps backwards.

First, they would actually have to take a step forward in order to take that step backwards.

I posted this because I have done research on this issue because it has always been a special place in my research heart after I learned about segregation as a child. When I went to school and my own parents, we learned all about the different civil rights movements, because there was a struggle long before what happened in the 1950s and 60s.

I'll post what I have on the topic here soon, they are here to install a shower that does not fit >.<

Return to “In The News”